Rich May, P.C.’s Trademark & Copyright practice group is dedicated to serving the needs of businesses and individuals looking to protect their valuable brands and works of authorship.
We help service providers and producers of goods protect their brand names internationally, nationally and locally through trademark registration and important ongoing maintenance. We also provide a range of expertise in entertainment and intellectual property law, including new media, film, television and publishing. We have experience in the financing, production and distribution of film and television projects, representing a broad range of clients including production companies, writers, directors, artists, animators, multimedia and software producers, distributors, book authors and publishers.
We provide legal and strategic guidance to clients in all aspects of the following:
- Negotiation and drafting of contracts for the financing, production and distribution of film, television and video projects
- Acquisition and licensing of literary, life story and other proprietary rights
- Development and launch of multimedia websites
- Merchandising and licensing
- Traditional print publishing and e-publishing
- Trademark and copyright domestic and international protection
- Fair use evaluation and rights analysis
- First Amendment review, including defamation and privacy claims
- Employment and independent contractor agreements
- Private placement and financing documents
- Formation of LLCs and corporate entities
- Software and intellectual property agreements
- Entertainment, copyright and trademark litigation
- Cybersquatting protection issues and claims
- Routinely counsels clients on domestic and international trademark and copyright protection.
- Representation of producers and production companies in various matters on production agreements, content distribution agreements and prebroadcast libel review.
- Worked closely with public broadcasting entity’s business affairs staff and legal staff on development, production, licensing and distribution activities.
- Representing company in development and launch of interactive website.
- Representing e-book publishing client in agreements and other legal issues.
- Represents filmmakers and production companies in connection with the financing, production and distribution of their film and television projects, including documentary and narrative films and scripted and unscripted television series.
- Represents film and television producers in acquiring rights to literary works and life stories.
- Conducts legal assessments and film reviews and writes fair use opinion letters in support of errors and omissions insurance coverage.