J. Allen Holland, a member/shareholder of the firm, focuses his practice in the areas of business litigation and employment law, with significant experience in shareholder/partner disputes, as well.
Allen’s business litigation practice includes a wide variety of business disputes, including breach of contract, Lanham Act claims, unfair business practices actions, and disputes between shareholders, members and partners. His employment law practice is also varied, but focuses on non-competition/non-solicitation/confidential information disputes, claims of discrimination and the hiring and firing of employees. Allen regularly advises clients on their employment policies and procedures and assists clients in creating and updating these policies and employee handbooks.
Awards & Honors
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in Labor, Employment and Litigation by Martindale-Hubbell, 2015
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2020.
- Awarded the highest ranking by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (AV – Legal Ability Rating: Very High to Preeminent).
- Represented a healthcare consulting firm in connection with the formation of a joint venture between the healthcare consulting firm and a number of European healthcare consulting firms.
- Represented a franchiser in connection with the successful enforcement of the noncompetition provision contained in a former franchisee’s franchise agreement.
- Represented a construction contractor in the successful resolution of a claim brought by the Department of Labor alleging that the contractor had failed to pay in excess of $600,000 in overtime due to employees for time spent traveling to and from job sites.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar arbitration award and cancellation of noncompetition covenants on behalf of two brokers who were constructively terminated by a securities firm.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar jury verdict on behalf of a medical device manufacturer against a large pharmaceutical company in connection with a dispute arising out of a supply agreement for the manufacturer’s device.
- Obtained an arbitration award in excess of $1 million on behalf of a real estate business terminated by an LLC composed of real estate companies.
- Secured jury verdict in favor of defendant in a wrongful death action.
- Secured jury verdicts in favor of defendants at trial in cases asserting age and handicap discrimination claims.
Articles & Talks
- Instructor, American Arbitration Association, Best Arbitration Practices
- Editor of Boston Bar Journal, 2004-2010
- Author of a chapter on the attorney-client and work product privileges for the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education publication Massachusetts Discovery Practice, 2002, 2012 and 2018.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Harvard College, B.A., 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts,
- U.S. Court of Appeals (1st Circuit),
- U.S. Supreme Court
Outside the Office
- Coach, youth sports
- Member of the Executive Board of the Newton Girls Softball League