Anthony McGuinness focuses his practice in the areas of commercial real estate, real estate litigation, and restaurant law.
Tony represents clients in the acquisition, development, and sale of commercial real estate including condominiums, residential, retail, hotel, and mixed-use developments. He assists clients in traditional and private financing for acquisitions and new construction development projects in and around Boston. Tony provides clients with zoning review and approval with the BPDA/ZBA on permitting for parcels in Boston.
Tony represents individuals and corporate clients in state and federal litigation including real estate litigation, adverse possession, land use, ZBA appeals, contract disputes, and minority shareholder rights.
Mr. McGuinness also represents clients in the hotel and restaurant industry on business transactions, leasing, acquisitions, private equity funding, start-ups, and liquor licensing.
Awards & Honors
Named a “Top Lawyer” by Boston Magazine, 2021-2022
- Represented a developer in a $70 million dollar acquisition and construction financing for a commercial project in the South End neighborhood of Boston.
- Represented a developer in a $30 million dollar acquisition and construction financing of a new construction mixed use project in the Seaport/Ft. Point Channel neighborhood of Boston.
- Represented a developer in a $32 million dollar acquisition of buildings in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston with subsequent conversion to residential condominiums.
- Represented a chef/investor in a $2 million dollar restaurant and liquor license acquisition on the Boston waterfront with a $4.5 million dollar Regulation D private placement.
- Represented a restaurant group in a $4 million dollar Regulation D private placement for a restaurant in the Kendall Square neighborhood of Cambridge.
- Successful representation of a real estate developer in an adverse possession claim in Land Court and subsequent Massachusetts Appeals Court case.
- Successful representation of a real estate developer in litigation regarding the allowed use of a retail unit in a mixed-use condominium development in the Business Litigation Section.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2004
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, B.A., 1999
- District Court of the District of Massachusetts
Outside the Office
- Charlestown Neighborhood Council, Precinct 6 Representative (2011-2013).
- Adjunct Professor at Emerson College – Argument and Advocacy.
- Former Mentor and Legal Coach, Mentors and Ventures Program (MVP) at the Center for Entrepreneurship, Isenberg School of Management, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Lives in Charlestown, MA with his wife Kateri and their two children. Enjoys traveling, playing music, and spending time with his family in Groton Long Point, CT during the summer.