Stephen M. Kane is President, Managing Director and a member/shareholder of the firm. Steve concentrates on corporate, commercial, securities and financial matters.
His advice is not limited to legal issues, but focuses on practical, workable solutions for business clients. Steve’s complex and diverse practice embraces all aspects of the organization and operation of corporations and other business entities, contracts, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, employee relations and compensation, finance, lending, securities law and real estate. He represents companies, investors and entrepreneurs in numerous industries including manufacturing, social media, software, technology, consulting services and logistics.
Awards & Honors
- Awarded Columbia University Alumni Medal at 2017 Commencement
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2020
- Awarded the highest ranking by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (AV – Legal Ability Rating: Very High to Preeminent)
- Served as a member of the Business Law Section Council of the Massachusetts Bar Association, 2004-2007
- Negotiation of business contracts focused on both legal issues and practical business solutions.
- Representation of several technology companies in connection with the licensing of their intellectual property, solutions and services.
- Representation of both buyers and sellers in scores of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Representation of both companies and venture capital funds in venture capital financings.
- Representation of companies and executives in employment and equity incentive matters.
- Representation of minority stockholders in the $2.1 billion sale of a media, manufacturing and real estate conglomerate.
- Representation of an internet company in its initial public offering and ongoing SEC compliance.
- Columbia University Law School, J.D., 1983
- Columbia College, B.A., 1980
- Roxbury Latin School
Outside the Office
- Member of Board of Directors of Columbia Alumni Association (2011 – 2017)
- Member of Board of Directors (2002-Present) and President (2008-2016) of Columbia Alumni Association of Boston
- Coach of several youth sports teams over many seasons
- Member of Board of Directors (1995-1999) of Newton North Little League and also Co-President of the league in League’s State Championship season (1998)
- 30 years of playing Ultimate Frisbee for Old Blue (a Columbia Ultimate alumni team) (1989-Present)
- Steve lives with his wife Cindy in Newton, Massachusetts