Scott Stokes, a shareholder of the firm, concentrates on corporate, mergers and acquisitions, securities, investment management and financial services matters.
His practice includes a variety of general corporate/business law areas, including the organization, operation and financing of business entities, mergers and acquisitions, contracts and all matters within the scope of business operations. Scott also focuses on work in the investment management field, helping form registered investment advisers and broker-dealers and assisting them with regulatory and compliance matters. Additionally, his investment management work includes onshore and offshore fund formation- including private equity, venture capital, hedge, real estate and other fund complexes.
Awards & Honors
- Named one of the Top 100 Lawyers in New England by Thomson Reuters, 2015 and 2016.
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in Banking, Finance, Business and Commercial by Martindale-Hubbell, 2015-2019
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2019.
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2012.
- Regularly represents investment advisors with an aggregate of over $20 billion under management with respect to ongoing compliance, fund formation and operational issues.
- Represented a broker-dealer in its $50M acquisition by one of the world’s foremost financial services firms.
- Represented a Canadian client with respect to multiple cross-border acquisitions in the US over the past 3 years.
- Acted as outside general counsel on formation, financing, restructuring, employment, contracting, incentive compensation and other matters to one of Massachusetts’ top-growing private companies and best places to work according to the Boston Business Journal.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1998; International Law Journal, Note and Comment Editor
- Tufts University, B.A., 1994
- U.S. District Court of Appeals (1st Circuit)
- US District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Outside the Office
- Scott lives in Holliston, Massachusetts with his wife Suzanne, his two children and his golden retriever (Kenobi).
- He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School and Tufts University (B.A., History and German), and spent a year and a half studying in Germany through Tufts University and Georgetown University Law School.
- In his spare time, Scott enjoys travel, concerts, fishing and is a passionate Boston sports fan.