Jim Behnke, a shareholder of the firm, has practiced with Rich May, P.C. and its predecessor, Rich, May, Bilodeau & Flaherty since graduating from law school in 1981.
Jim’s practice is principally counseling regulated interstate natural gas pipeline companies and other energy companies in the siting, title review and acquisition of easement right of way and fee properties necessary for the operation of their energy delivery systems including Liquefied Natural Gas Facilities.
Jim’s 38 years of professional experience extends to representation of Algonquin Gas Transmission, LLC and its affiliated companies in New England, mid-Atlantic and Mid-Western States in immediate possession and other eminent domain and federal preemption matters.
Regulated utility clients seeking right of way acquisition or federal preemption expertise should consider contacting Jim to discuss their problems.
Jim lives in Hanover, NH, with his wife Jean.
- Provided Algonquin Gas Transmission LLC with advice on title review and acquisition of a natural gas compressor site for its FERC regulated Atlantic Bridge Project and AIM Project, including immediate possession and acquisition of easements in certain Boston City Streets by federal eminent domain.
- Provided Weavers Cove Energy LLC with advice on title review and acquisition of its sites and interstate pipeline for its proposed FERC regulated LNG Project.
- Provided Spectra Energy with advice on title review and right of way acquisition of its proposed FERC regulated Access Northeast Project.
Articles & Talks
- The Sage Approach to Immediate Entry Under the Natural Gas Act and The Federal Power Act, 27 ENERGY L. J. 499- 544 (2006). Co-authored with Harold B. Dondis
- Assuring Telecommunications Access in the Commonwealth, 89 MASS. L. REV. 63-84 (2004).
- Safety Jurisdiction Over Natural Gas Pipelines, 19 ENERGY L.J. 77-118 (1998). Co-authored with Harold B. Dondis
- The Clean Water Act and Federally Licensed Utilities, PUB.UTIL.FORT., November 1, 1994, 42-46. Co-authored with Harold B. Dondis
- Dartmouth College, A.B., 1972
- U. S. Navy, Lieutenant, 1978
- Harvard University Law School, J.D., 1981
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Outside the Office
- Jim and his wife, Jean, live in Hanover, NH, and enjoy traveling and visiting National Parks, Monuments and Historic Sites.