Erica P. Bigelow, Of Counsel, concentrates on real estate and business transactions and litigation.
She has represented individual and corporate developers in a variety of commercial and multi-family residential projects, from property identification and due diligence, through zoning, wetlands and planning permits, to acquisition and construction financing. Erica’s real estate litigation practice focuses on contract disputes, including construction contracts, partnership agreements, permit appeals, and title matters, including easements, adverse possession and lien priority issues.
She is one of the principal drafters of historic legislation which reformed, modernized, and expanded the Massachusetts Homestead Act.
Awards & Honors
- Awarded the highest ranking by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (AV – Legal Ability Rating: Very High to Preeminent).
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2017.
- Named a “Top Woman Attorney in Massachusetts” by Boston Magazine, 2014.
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in Real Estate Law by Martindale-Hubbell, 2015.
- Represented Northeast regional fuel distributor and multi-station owner in sale of New England assets to national company, including sales, leases and subleases for multiple sites.
- Regularly represents commercial tenants in negotiation of office and facility leases, from California to Florida, and commercial property owners in negotiation with end user retail and commercial tenants.
- Represented Buyer in acquisition and financing of multi-location retail fuel facility chain, including title review and negotiation of title insurance coverages, affirmative insurance, environmental due diligence, negotiation of environmental agreements and indemnities with seller, lease reviews, and negotiation of new consignee agreements.
Articles & Talks
- “Post-Foreclosure Title Issues” – REBA conference, May 2016
- Harvard Law School, cum laude
- Radcliffe College, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court