Eric Krathwohl, a Managing Director and shareholder of the firm, counsels clients on a variety of business, corporate, contract and finance matters – often for infrastructure/utility transactions and regulatory proceedings.
His practice encompasses a wide variety of energy and telecommunications matters, including facility siting, development, and acquisition and purchased power contracts. Eric is also very involved with many regulatory proceedings at the state level in Massachusetts and the Northeast U.S. relating to electric, gas and water rates, and renewable energy issues.
Eric believes in providing clients value through pragmatic and innovative counsel on an efficient and responsive basis to help them build their projects, close their deals and obtain the best regulatory result possible.
Awards & Honors
- Solar Energy Business Ass’n of New England Member of the Year, 2019
- Co-Chair of the NECA Retail Markets Committee, 2015-present
- Co-chair of NECA’s Renewable Energy and Distributed Generation Committee, 2007 – 2008
- Awarded the highest ranking by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (AV – Legal Ability Rating: Very High to Preeminent)
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters Superlawyers 2005-2021
- Named a “Top Lawyer” by Boston Magazine, 2021
- Massachusetts Solar and Net-metering Task Force Member, 2014-2015
- Provided counsel in acquisition, permitting, development and deposition of fiber optic networks and other assets.
- Provided counsel in numerous wind and solar energy generation projects, handling PPAs, EPC contracts, wind Turbine Supply Agreements, Net-metering contracts, interconnection arrangements and regulatory matters.
- Obtained numerous siting and permit approvals for natural gas and electric facilities, including cases involving environmentally sensitive areas and/or active opposition.
- Represented several electric, natural gas, telecom, water and technology companies in mergers and acquisitions (buy and sell sides) and joint ventures with values ranging $1 Million to $1.7 Billion.
- Developed and implemented strategies yielding business significant reductions in utility charges.
- Represented several real estate developers in resolving water supply challenges through establishing water supply companies, including associated environmental and utility regulatory compliance.
- Represented clients including utilities, customers, generators, marketers and the independent system operator in a variety of regulatory and/or contract matters in the electric, natural gas, telecom and water industries.
- Assisted electric and gas and water distribution companies in obtaining favorable rate treatment in dozens of proceedings, primarily in Massachusetts and New York.
Articles & Talks
- “Water Utility Regulation,” presented at the “MA Water Laws and Regulations” Seminar held by HalfMoon Seminars, June 13, 2012.
- “Clean Renewable Energy Bonds,” presented to the Northeast Energy and Commerce Association Renewable Energy Conference, March 1, 2007.
- “Interconnection Standards for Small Power Projects,” presented to NECA Renewables Committee, November 24, 2003.
- Massachusetts Procedure: Administrative Procedure §§ 13:1 – 18:96, Rochester, NY: Lawyers Cooperative Publishing, 1996.
- “Gas Purchasing – Business, Legal, and Contracting Issues” in Customer Choice: Purchasing Energy in Deregulated Market, compiled and edited by Albert Thumann, Lilburn, GA: The Fairmont Press, Inc., 1999
- “Retail Energy Contracts: Choices for Customers” in Cogeneration and Competitive Power Journal Vol. 14, No.2 (Spring 1999)
- Cornell Law School, J.D.
- University of Connecticut, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- Massachusetts Federal District Court
Outside the Office
- Serves as Director of or Volunteer for non-profits such as Kids in Need of Defense, Boston Athletic Ass’n, Essex County Trails Ass’n, Pan Mass Challenge and Clean Tech Open in his interest areas of health through fitness, sustainability, protecting nature and assisting vulnerable youth.
- Enjoys running, cycling, skiing, kayaking and other outdoor activities