Emmett E. Lyne is a Managing Director and member/shareholder of the firm. Emmett concentrates on corporate, regulatory and finance matters for a variety of corporate, charitable, and individual clients.
He has served as lead counsel for multi-billion dollar projects for major institutional clients as well as for multiple private and start-up companies and funds. He has served, and continues to serve, as a board member for privately held companies and charitable organizations. He also serves as a trustee for several trusts. Emmett works diligently to assist clients in achieving their goals, seeks to build consensus in multi-stakeholder public projects, and hopes to foster long-term, positive relationships with clients, professional colleagues, and his co-workers at Rich May
Awards & Honors
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in Business, Commercial, Real Estate Law and General Practice by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Voted by his peers as one of the top 100 lawyers in Massachusetts as published by Boston Magazine.
- Awarded the highest ranking by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (AV – Legal Ability Rating: Very High to Preeminent).
- Mr. Lyne is an Honorary Citizen of the State of Oklahoma.
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thompson Reuters, 2005-2023.
- Appointed by the Supreme Judicial Court as Chair of the Oversight Committee of Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers; Board member 2005-2012
- Co-Chair of the Board of Directors of Freedom from Chemical Dependency (FCD) Educational Services
- Member of the Board of Directors of Heading Home, Inc.
- Member of the Board of Trustees and former President of the Alumni Council of the Belmont Hill School. Mr. Lyne is also a member of the Board of Directors of Belmont Hill’s Multicultural Alumni Partnership (MAP).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Bowdoin College Polar Bear Athletic Fund
- Volunteer youth sports coach (philosophy: every kid deserves a chance to play) and active in Bowdoin College alumni events
- Volunteer and dinner committee member (and past dinner Chair) for the ABCD annual Community Heroes Celebration; ABCD is Boston’s largest social services provider
- Counsel to the Mass Save® consortium (comprised of all of the Commonwealth’s electric and gas utilities and qualified municipal aggregators) that has helped MA be named the most energy efficient state in the nation by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) for 9 consecutive years. Emmett helps develop a 3-year efficiency plan for the Commonwealth (with a current budget of approximately $2.5 Billion), build consensus among diverse stakeholder groups, secure all requisite legal and regulatory approvals, and assist in the implementation and reporting of performance under the plan.
- Lead corporate counsel for privately held businesses in diverse fields, including real estate, construction, medical devices, software, energy, investment management, and light industry.
- Negotiated the employment agreements for many of the top business, health care, and real estate executives in the Commonwealth.
- Successfully led deal teams in multiple mergers and acquisitions, with representative deals ranging from the sale of a publicly-traded utility to a larger public utility, to the sale of a privately held medical device manufacturer to a private equity firm, to the merger of two renowned construction companies.
- Lead counsel in formation of private real estate investment fund, currently engaged in some of the largest development activities in the Eastern United States.
- Led legal team in brownfield redevelopment in Brunswick, Maine, transforming an abandoned polluted coal ash rail yard into a vibrant, downtown housing, office, retail, hotel and transportation hub.
- Lead counsel in groundbreaking reciprocal compensation agreement for a start-up telecommunications carrier with NYNEX that led to multi-million dollar sale of the start-up.
Articles & Talks
- BBA Energy Law Committee Panelist, 2018
- Former moderator of the MIT Enterprise Forum
- Co-author, chapter on the Department of Public Utilities, Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Compilation on Massachusetts Procedure, Volume 9
- Co-author, State and Federal Deregulation of Electric and Natural Gas Services in Massachusetts, National Business Institute
- Bowdoin College, A.B., cum laude, 1981
- Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
Outside the Office
- Emmett lives in Wellesley with his wife Margaret, their four children, and three dogs. He enjoys reading, music, athletics, and time with family and friends.