Jim is a litigator with a focus on business and land use disputes and has extensive experience in trials, arbitration, and mediation of cases involving ERISA, contract disputes, eminent domain, and the construction and operation of interstate natural gas pipelines and facilities that are subject to the Natural Gas Act.
He has been involved in natural gas pipeline projects in a number of states in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast areas of the country. Jim believes litigation is largely business by other means and places great emphasis on trying to resolve business disputes in the most cost-effective and efficient way.
Awards & Honors
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph R. Nolan, Associate Justice of Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, 1986-1987
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2020
- Provided strategic advice to several natural gas companies on projects involving the construction and operation of interstate natural gas pipelines in the eastern United States.
- Obtained a substantial settlement for a disabled plaintiff in an ERISA action.
- Represented a claims administrator in a number of ERISA actions in various federal district courts that resulted in summary judgments for administrator.
- Represented a trucking company in actions by railroads for recovery of more than one million dollars in demurrage charges and obtained summary judgment in one case and a dismissal with prejudice in the other case after filing a motion for summary judgment.
- Represented a landowner in an adverse possession case tried in the Massachusetts Land Court in which the owner was granted a prescriptive easement over land that was approximately ½ mile from the owner’s house for access to a beach on Cape Cod. That judgment was affirmed on appeal by the Massachusetts Appeals Court.
- Successfully defended a company that was sued by a former executive who claimed that the company failed to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars in commissions. After a three-day trial, the jury determined that the company did not owe the executive any money.
- Obtained a substantial settlement for a landowner whose property was taken for a railroad station.
- Obtained numerous summary judgments for natural gas companies in eminent domain actions filed in the Massachusetts federal district court and successfully tried more than 20 of those cases.
- Manhattan College, B.A., cum laude, 1973
- University of Virginia, M.A., American History, 1975
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1986; Editor, Boston University School of Law International Law Journal
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Third and Ninth Circuits
Outside the Office
- Jim is an avid golfer and reader of American and European history, biographies, mysteries, and historical fiction.
- Prior to attending law school, Jim taught American history and economics at Christian Brothers High School in Lincroft, New Jersey.