Practice Areas & Industries
Investment Management and Private Funds
At Rich May, P.C. our investment management practice is all about generating alpha for our clients. We create funds and pools, register broker-dealers, establish commodity trading advisors and other investment managers and the contracts and structures that bind them together.
We take an interdisciplinary approach that draws on our experience with domestic and international regulatory requirements, finance, business mergers and acquisitions, private placement of securities, litigation, tax, ERISA, executive and incentive compensation, employment and intellectual property. In this rapidly changing business arena, we embrace innovation and efficiency to allow our clients to take investment management to the next level of opportunity.
We fully understand that this ever changing regulatory world presents unique challenges and costs, especially to smaller advisors and funds. Our job is to steer them through the regulatory labyrinth efficiently in a way specifically tailored to each client- without incurring compliance costs that could materially affect performance results.
We offer a full range of legal services to investment advisors and other clients in the investment management industry. These services include:
- Structuring, creating and maintaining investment management organizations and domestic and foreign hedge funds including parallel funds, master/feeder complexes, funds of funds and commodity pools
- Structuring, creating and maintaining commodity pools, real estate funds, private equity and venture capital funds
- Organization and registration of investment advisers, broker-dealers, commodity pool operators, commodity trading advisors and their associated persons and principals
- Navigation of state and federal regulation of investment managers, broker-dealers and domestic and foreign hedge funds including the operation, financing, marketing, advertising and offering of interests in private funds and investment managers
- All manner of dealings with the SEC, FINRA, CFTC, NFA and state securities and regulatory regimes
- Compliance manuals and reports and on-site compliance reviews
- Acquisitions, divestitures and reorganizations
Regularly represent investment advisers currently managing an aggregate portfolio of over $14 Billion in assets on a discretionary basis.
Represented leading electronic brokerage firm in $50 Million sale to Fortune 500 Company.
Represented two sponsors in structuring, organizing and operating multiple real estate funds managing in excess of $100 Million.
Represented and advised numerous investment advisors as to the impact of the Dodd Frank Act and switching from SEC to State registration.